General Summary: The purpose of the Assistant Teacher is to work with the Classroom Teacher to facilitate learning and ensure the safety of the individual child. The Assistant Teacher will also assist the classroom Teacher in implementing the daily schedule of activities, lessons and routines. In the absence of the Classroom Teacher, the Teacher Assistant assumes responsibility for the well being and safety of the children. (bilingual/Spanish preferred)
Position Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
General Work Habits
- Arrive on time for my pre-arranged work schedule.
- Reliable in attendance and give ample notice of absence.
- Greet each child by name in a friendly and pleasant manner.
- Follow health, hygiene and safety precautions.
- Responsive to supervisor’s recommendations.
- Follow the company dress code policy.
- Maintain cleanliness of assigned areas.
- Accurately complete required documentation.
- Meet required deadlines.
Skills with Parents
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Relay messages from parents to the appropriate child center representative.
Skills with Children
- Maintain a friendly, warm, and affectionate demeanor.
- Bend low for child level interactions.
- Use a modulated, appropriate voice with children.
- Show respect for the individual needs of children.
- Be aware of developmental levels and changing interests.
- Encourage independence and self help.
- Promote self-esteem
- Participate in the children’s activities.
- Avoid stereotyping and labeling.
- Reinforce positive behavior.
Skill Directing/Guiding a Group of Children
- Create learning environments.
- Provide developmentally appropriate activities.
- Prepare for the day’s activities.
- Provide a balance of teacher-directed and child-directed activities.
- Allow children to work independently with materials.
Qualifications: Minimum high school diploma and CDA (Child Development Associate) certificate OR 60 College credits/degree preferred. Minimum 2 years experience as a child care professional. CPR & First Aid Certification
Full Benefits (Medical, Vision, Dental) retirement savings plan with employer match , Paid Time off and Paid Holidays.