STRAIGHT & NARROW, INC.
Reports to: Director of IDRC
General Summary: The Counselor Intern functions an integral part of the treatment team and provides individual, group, family and didactic sessions as well as case management services to the clients on his/her caseload ensuring that the treatment requirements of all regulating bodies are fulfilled.
I. Position Specific Responsibilities and Duties
- 1. Greet 12-Hour and/or 48-Hour Clients on entry to IDRC and direct them to the appropriate area for baggage check and classroom.
- 2. Check baggage for alcohol, drugs, weapons and other contraband.
- 3. Hand out paperwork, such as; intake and medical assessment forms, house rules and regulations, and the SASSI test booklet to 12 Hour and 48 Hour clients.
- 4. Assist clients with paperwork as needed.
- 5. Administer breathalyzer test to all 48-Hour clients and suspect 12-Hour clients.
- 6. Notify supervisor immediately if breathalyzer reads positive.
- 7. Assist in scoring SASSI tests performed by clients.
- 8. Conduct client screenings to determine need for referral to treatment.
- 9. Fill out treatment summary and all appropriate paperwork including NJSAMS for clients who are referred to treatment.
- 10. Deliver lectures in accordance with IDRC curriculum.
II. Other Responsibilities and Duties
- Maintain client's privacy in accordance with Federal laws regulating confidentiality.
- Attend weekly supervision meetings with the Director
- Maintain client confidentiality and professionalism at all times
III. General Responsibilities and Duties
- Workweek will consist of five days per week with a minimum of eight hours work per day including one hour for lunch or 30 minutes for lunch and two 15 minute breaks.
- Punch in/out on the employee hand recognition time clock and ensure that all staff on unit follow this procedure.
- Notify supervisor prior to shift when unable to work due to sickness or personal emergency.
- Submit Employee Absence Report to supervisor on day of return to work after taking one or more sick day(s).
- Know and enforce Straight & Narrow’s Policies and Procedures.
- Ensure Policy and Procedure for Critical Incident Reporting is followed when indicated.
- Complete all Straight & Narrow’s annually required trainings for staff.
- Attend in-service and other trainings, staff meetings and supervision as scheduled.
- Attend all meetings of CQI subcommittees of which you are a member and actively participate.
- Take responsibility for keeping Personnel file updated with regard to filing any new degrees or certificates, getting immunizations/medical test as required and keeping any licenses and/or certificates current.
- Perform other tasks as necessary or as assigned by a member of Straight & Narrow’s Administration.
Americans with Disabilities Act Requirements:
- Environment Demands and Exposures to Hazards:Normal work routine involves potential exposure to blood, tissues, body fluid, air/surface borne infections and chemicals. Must be familiar with Straight & Narrow’s “Infection Control Policy & Procedure”. Must also attend agency’s annual training which provides information on “Infection Control Procedures”.
Essential Physical/Mental Demands:
- 1. Physical Demands:
- Must be ambulatory
- Must have visual/hearing acuity
- 2. Mental Demands:
- Must have verbal ability
- Must be able to comprehend instructions
- Must be able to write legibly
- Must be able to comprehend/interpret charts, diagrams, possess inductive and deductive reasoning
- 3. Manual Dexterity Required:
- Must possess dexterity, stand, sit, walk, lift and carry twenty pounds for short distances
American with Disabilities Act Statement:
External and internal applicants as well as position incumbents who become disabled, must be able to perform the essential job specific function (listed within each job specific responsibility) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by the organization on a case by case basis.
Although Straight & Narrow has attempted to accurately and thoroughly describe this position, Straight & Narrow reserves the right to change the same, including to change, add to or subtract from the duties outlined, within the sole discretion of Straight & Narrow, at any time, with or without advance notice. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at-will”. The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.
This is to acknowledge that I have reviewed this job description with my supervisor; it has been discussed with me; I understand the performance expected of me; and I also understand that it is my responsibility to comply with this job description as well as any revisions made to it. In addition, my supervisor has provided me with a signed copy of this job description for my own records.
Qualifications: Must have a BA/BS or MA/MSW. Experience in the addictions and/or mental health field. Good interpersonal, verbal and written skills. Familiar with NJSAMS, ASAM and LOCI. Experience facilitating Educational, group and individual sessions. Excellent working knowledge of computers. Experience in the fee per service environment a plus.