Job Title: Teacher- Adult Education
Reports To: Adult Education Coordinator/Job Readiness
General Summary: The Teacher for the Adult Education Program is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the adult school, including the testing, placement, teaching and academic advisement of client-students.
Position Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- 1. Teach language and math skills to adult clients on three levels of adult basic education (ABE): Remedial, High School Equivalency Test (HiSet)
- 2. Coordinate the curriculum for three levels of adult basic education (ABE) in accordance with State of NJ Dept. of Education guidelines.
- 3. Evaluate the activities and accomplishments of the Adult Education Program and report the findings to the Treatment Director.
- 4. Consult with counselors to review progress/behavior patterns of client-students in the academic program.
- 5. Administer weekly placement testing to 28-day clients. Collaborate with the members of Clinical Treatment Staff to avoid/resolve schedule conflicts.
- 6. Conduct intake assessments on all incoming client-students to determine motivational levels and appropriate academic level placement.
- 7. Provide individualized guidance counseling to all students who seek career planning and continuing education/job training beyond the agency’s continuum of care services.
- 8. Update a weekly school schedule for distribution to all agency departments and adult residential units.
- 9. Generate data for maintaining a secure database of information on all incoming students.
- 10. Act as liaison between The Paterson Adult School, Treatment Staff, Community Living Staff, and GED class members to arrange for official GED registration and testing.
- 11. Act as a liaison between students and State of NJ Dept. of Education to track/replace lost academic transcripts and diplomas.
- 12. Conduct research to revitalize the curriculum with the addition of up-to-date computer software, textbooks and videos.
- 13. Maintain weekly attendance records for all client-students.
Qualifications: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and two years teachingexperience. Masters degree preferred. Teacher’s Certificate required.
Medical benefits, dental, vision, paid time off, paid holidays, training days and retirement savings plan with employer match