STRAIGHT & NARROW, INC.
Job Title: Director of Nursing – Residential Services (Medical/Detox Unit)
FSLA: Status: Exempt
Reports to: Medical Director
Qualifications: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing; currently licensed as an RN in the state of New Jersey; strong management and interpersonal skills; Masters’ Degree with five years’ experience with substance abuse and psychiatric patients or Bachelor’s degree with seven years experience with substance abuse and/or psychiatric patients. Certified Addictions Registered Nurse (CARN) preferred
Job Summary: Oversee and direct nursing staff to provide quality nursing services to all residential clients while they are in treatment at the agency and to ensure them an appropriate continuum of care when they leave the agency.
Job Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
- 1. Direct and provide supervision to nursing staff at Paterson and Secaucus (Medical/Detox Unit).
- 2. Ensure quality nursing services to all residential client including programs in Paterson.
- 3. Develop and implement written objectives, standards of practice, and organizational plan for nursing services.
- 4. Develop, implement and revise policies and procedures for nursing services.
- 5. Ensure that newly hired medical staff on medical/detox unit is provided orientation on agency’s policy and procedures. Staff will be notified as new policies are developed.
- 6. Coordinate and integrate nursing services with other patient care services both within the agency and in the community.
- 7. Recruit, interview and hire all nursing and ancillary medical personnel in collaboration with Human Resources Department.
- 8. Monitor Medical Unit’s Budget
- 9. Orient all new nursing and ancillary medical personnel to the facility and their job responsibilities.
- 10. Provide regularly-scheduled training to nursing personnel on areas of care associated with this patient population.
- 11. Formally evaluate all newly-hired nursing and ancillary medical personnel at three months and submit evaluation to Human Resource.
- 12. Formally evaluate all medical and ancillary medical personnel annually during the specified evaluation period and submit to Human Resources.
- 13. Develop written job descriptions for nursing and ancillary personnel and update annually at the time of the employee’s Performance Evaluation.
- 15. Document any medical staff transgressions as they occur in accordance with Straight & Narrow’s procedure for employee warnings and participate in effecting any terminations that may be warranted in collaboration with Human Resources.
- 16. Ensure representation of appropriate nursing personnel at MDT meetings and all other staff meetings where nursing representation is required.
- 17. Ensure that all standards for health including Division of Mental Health Addiction (DMHAS) and CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities), life safety; infection control; medication storage, dispensing and disposal, etc. are met.
- 18. Prepare and implement those areas of Detox and Primary Care Plans of Correction that have to do with nursing services including, but not limited to, medication dispensing and monitoring; medication storage; infection control; nursing documentation.
- 19. Ensure that credentials of nursing are verified annually and that documentation of this verification is in each employee’s Personnel file.
- 20. Ensure that client retention by providing efficient nursing care to clients on Detox as well as residential units.
- 21. Renew written agreements with pharmacy, Lab and any other outside agencies (as needed) to which Straight & Narrow refers, annually.
- 22. Ensure that the pharmacy visits the agency to monitor medications monthly.
- 23. Ensure that all clients’ prescriptions are ordered as required and any generic medications or medical supplies are always in stock.
- 24. Ensure medication sheets are evaluated monthly and oversee the quality assurance of all nursing charts and services.
- 25. Follow up on complaints regarding medication or nursing services lodged by clients, families, referral sources and staff members.
- 26. Attend meetings outside the agency regarding the Detox Hospital and Primary Care nursing services as required.
- 27. Provide on-call emergency response to nursing staff and residential Program Directors 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week either directly or through a designated, qualified nursing staff member.
- 28. Ensure staff RN or LPN represents Medical Unit at the weekly Multidisciplinary Team Meetings (MDT) as required
- 29. Chair Medical Committee and participate in any other CQI meetings to which assigned.
- 30. Review patient/client charts weekly to ensure regulatory compliance and appropriate patient care
- 31. Facilitate weekly Medical Unit staff meetings.
- 32. Responsible for reviewing medical charts of patients with co-morbidities prior to acceptance for admission.
- 33. Cross train nurses to work on all agency programs with the exception of the child care facilities.
- Ensure supervisees keep employee files up to date according to Human Resource’s policies and procedures
Other Responsibilities and Duties:
- Workweek will consist of five days per week with a minimum of eight hours work per day including one hour for lunch or 30 minutes for lunch and two 15 minute breaks. Follow all Straight and Narrow policies.
- Punch in/out on the employee hand recognition time clock and ensure that all staff on unit follows this procedure.
- Notify supervisor, prior to shift if unable to work due to sickness or personal emergency.
- Submit Employee Absence Report to supervisor on day of return to work after taking on or more sick day(s).
- Know and enforce Straight & Narrow’s Policies and Procedures.
- Ensure Policy and Procedure for Critical Incident Reporting is followed when indicated.
- Complete all Straight & Narrow’s annually required trainings for staff.
- Attend in-service and other trainings, staff meetings and supervision as scheduled.
- Attend all meetings of CQI subcommittees of which you are a member and actively participate.
- Take responsibility for keeping Personnel file updated with regard to filing any new degrees or certificates, getting immunizations/medical test as required and keeping any licenses and/or certificates current.
- Perform other tasks as necessary or as assigned by a member of Straight & Narrow’s Administration.
Americans with Disabilities Act Requirements:
- Environment Demands and Exposures to Hazards:Normal work routine involves potential exposure to blood, tissues, body fluid, air/surface borne infections and chemicals. Must be familiar with Straight & Narrow’s “Infection Control Policy & Procedure”. Must also attend agency’s annual training which provides information on “Infection Control Procedures”.
Essential Physical/Mental Demands:
- 1. Physical Demands:
- Must be ambulatory
- Must have visual/hearing acuity
- 2. Mental Demands:
- Must have verbal ability
- Must be able to comprehend instructions
- Must be able to write legibly
- Must be able to comprehend/interpret charts, diagrams, possess inductive and deductive reasoning
- 3. Manual Dexterity Required:
- Must possess dexterity, stand, sit, walk, lift and carry twenty pounds for short distances
American with Disabilities Act Statement:
External and internal applicants as well as position incumbents who become disabled, must be able to perform the essential job specific function (listed within each job specific responsibility) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by the organization on a case by case basis.
Although Straight & Narrow has attempted to accurately and thoroughly describe this position, Straight & Narrow reserves the right to change the same, including to change, add to or subtract from the duties outlined, within the sole discretion of Straight & Narrow, at any time, with or without advance notice. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at-will”. The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.
Qualifications: CARN preferred-Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing; currently licensed as an RN in the state of New Jersey; strong management and interpersonal skills; Masters’ Degree with five years’ experience with substance abuse and psychiatric patients or Bachelor’s degree with seven years experience with substance abuse and/or psychiatric patients. Certified Addictions Registered Nurse (CARN) preferred
Full Medical benefits, dental and vision, Retirement savings plan with employer match (403b) Paid Time off and Sick time, eleven (11) paid holidays a year, etc.
Straight & Narrow is EOE.